A delicious use for leftover beef and mashed potatoes!
- 1 large onion, quartered and sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 cups diced leftover roast beef
- 2 cups brown or beef gravy, leftover or prepared from mix
- 1/2 cup sliced or diced cooked carrots
- 1 cup frozen peas, cooked
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
Melt butter in a heavy skillet over medium heat; add onions. Sauté onions until tender; add diced beef, gravy, carrots, and peas. Heat through; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Transfer to baking dish. Beat the egg yolk into potatoes and spoon potatoes over the shepherd's pie meat and vegetables (press potatoes through a pastry tube, if desired). Bake shepherd's pie at 400° for about 30 minutes, or until mashed potatoes are browned and gravy is bubbling. Shepherd's pie serves 4.