4 garlic cloves, peeled
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 small onion, peeled, quartered
1 tablespoon coconut oil
2 tablespoons butter
2 1/2 lbs chicken thighs (boneless or skinless, cut into quarters)
2 (14 ounce) cans coconut milk (Don't Shake!!!!)
2 tablespoons starch
1 cup frozen vegetables, of your choice
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon salt
- 1Combine ingredients from the spice blend together and set aside.
- 2In a mini food processor, combine garlic, ginger and onion and pulse until it forms a paste.
- 3In a heavy skillet, heat coconut oil and melt butter. Add pureed aromatics and stir well. Cook for a few minutes, then add spice blend. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 4Move aromatics to one side of the skillet and add chicken pieces to the pot. Cook chicken slightly on all sides, using a sturdy wooden spoon to move it around the pot. It should get thoroughly coated with the spice mixture. Transfer chicken and remaining spices/juices to the crock pot.
- 5Open the cans of coconut milk and remove the cream from the top using a soup spoon. You should have about 1 cup of coconut cream. Pour the coconut milk over the chicken; it should just barely cover the chicken.
- 6Place the slow cooker in the base and cook on low for 4 hours.
- 7After 4 hours of cooking, whisk cornstarch with coconut cream until smooth and add to the chicken. Stir well.
- 8Add frozen vegetables of your choice. Cook for another half an hour or until you deem the vegetables hot.